Malta has acceded to the IMO Convention STCW 1978. As a consequence, Maltese-registered vessels are subject to the provisions of the Merchant Shipping Act and its ancillary regulations concerning the competency of officers and seamen. Malta imposes no restrictions on the nationality of the master, officers and crew of Maltese vessels. Malta has also ratified the Maritime Labour Convention and crew members are subject to the provisions of the Merchant Shipping (Maritime Labour Convention) Rules.
With Malta being a neutral state having both economic and political stability, as well as having a professional English-speaking working force, it is considered as a cost-effective jurisdiction for vessel registration and company formation.
E&S Group has a vast experience in the shipping industry and our services to shipping clients include:
- Assisting in setting up and administering shipping companies in Malta;
- Managing crew payroll;
- Assisting and managing in social security and national public employment services obligations for crew members;
- Drafting, reviewing and vetting crew contracts;
- Acting as resident agents and liaising with the Merchant Shipping Directorate;
- Managing of structures for VAT and tax planning optimisation.