Security Token Offerings (STOs) can generally be described as the blockchain version of IPOs and other securities offerings. Security tokens are financial instruments that are tokenised by the issuer. They can be backed by assets, or they can represent shares, debentures or derivatives, or other types of financial instruments. Recently, the STO market has seen an increase in interest as a result of shifting investor preferences.
The multi-disciplinary team at E&S Group has experience in advising clients in matters relating to carrying out STOs within the remit of EU securities regulations. Services include:
- Assisting with legal services required to run a STO whilst adhering to EU and Maltese law;
- Advising on the structuring of STOs to include private and public offerings;
- Analysing and reviewing the white paper with recommendations from a legal perspective;
- Assisting issuers in carrying out the Financial Instrument test as required by the MFSA;
- Assisting in the token design;
- Drafting private security token placement documents and other necessary agreements;
- Drafting public security token offering documents and other necessary agreements;
- Assisting with the drafting of T&Cs
- Drafting of disclaimers for the website
- Assisting with Know-Your-Customer (KYC) guidelines and processes
An accountant by profession, Karl spent 10 years working for a reputable audit firm in various audit roles before joining JP Morgan Chase in London in 2005, specifically working in Credit Hybrid Derivatives. He then returned to Malta to head the corporate finance arm of a local audit firm. In 2009, together with Christian, he was one of the founding members of a Corporate Services Provider in Malta, leaving to set up E&S Consultancy in 2010. Karl heads E&S’ ICO and Tokenomics department, however, his competences include advising and assisting in all MFSA licensing processes, accountancy, Token structuring, iGaming, and all aspects of corporate finance.
Karl is fluent in English, Italian, Maltese.
Phone:+356 2010 3020
Dr. Jade Fenech
Jade joined E&S Group as a legal associate in 2018. Before joining E&S Group she practised with a litigation firm for two years. She holds a Bachelor of Laws Degree and a Masters of Advocacy from the University of Malta and was admitted to the bar in 2019. Her primary areas of practice are corporate and commercial law, financial services and fintech.
Jade is fluent in English and Maltese.
Phone:+356 2010 3020